Exit Strategy Planning
Sunbelt uses a proven methodology to assist clients in developing an Exit Strategy Plan. Our process is as follows:
The first step is to determine what you “need” from the sale (amount to fund retirement, for example) and the current market value of your business.
- Assemble a team to understand an owner’s goals and objectives for a transaction – input from wealth managers and estate planners to determine what you need; tax specialists to provide options for limiting tax liability; an attorney with deep M&A transaction experience; the Sunbelt M&A specialist to provide market insights and tactical know-how
- Perform a “Transaction Readiness Assessment”
- Value Driver Analysis – Sunbelt will provide a critical assessment of your business operations, opportunities and challenges for prospective buyers
- Business Valuation & Asset Appraisals – to determine the true market value of the business
- Value Gap Assessment – is there a gap between the market value of the business and what an owner needs to clear at close
This consulting engagement is focused on closing any value gaps to increase value, marketability, and transition readiness. The goal is to increase the ease of transferability of the business, the most important value driver.
- Strategic Planning
- Management/Leadership team development
- Sales Transformation
- Process Improvement
- Financial Information – pre-sale due diligence
Complete support for executing the sale of the business with the goal to maximize the seller’s after-tax sales proceeds.
- Draft the Confidential Business Review/Offering Memorandum
- Target Development – We cast the widest net possible to ensure the maximum exposure of the opportunity to the market
- Confidential Marketing
- Buyer Screening
- Negotiation of Price & Terms
- Facilitate the Due Diligence Process
- Coordination with all members of the Exit Strategy Team
- Manage Transaction Closing Process – Sunbelt will work with the seller and buyer transaction teams (management, attorneys, CPA’s) to resolve any open issues and consummate the transaction in a timely fashion
Over the years we’ve seen instances where business owners have been told to pay large retainers in order to prepare their business for sale. We’re talking about $20,000, $25,000 and recently $40,000! The opportunity to pay this retainer fee comesRead more…